16 Upper Gay "Pharos"
The cottage was demolished in late 2016 and the friends of the Caloundra Lighthouses obtained a grant from the Sunshine Coast Regional Council to investigate and record the fabric. Interestingly, the sale and removal of the cottage was well documented, but the final location was known only through verbal reports and the photographic evidence appeared to correlate the story. The investigation was able to prove the 1890s fabric beyond doubt.
Kings Beach, this was the original 1896 lightkeeper's cottage, slid down the hill when the lighthouse became automatic in the 1940s, photos Roger Todd 2011
view to the Lighthouses, "Pharos" means "straight light" in greek, information from Mannie Comino
from the SE in 2011, photo Roger Todd
from the North in 2011, photo Roger Todd
Oct 1946 letter to Mr R Henzell regarding sale and removal of the cottage; all researched by Dr Brian Sinclair from DE&H when the lighthouses were listed.
Jan 1946 after conversion to semi-automatic, the light keeper was withdrawn occupied the cottage and attended the light. Mr Powell attended the light after the military withdrew, use by Girl Guides, rental enquiry; researched by Dr Brian Sinclair from DE&H when the lighthouses were listed.
1933 Keepers cottage, Rapkins family & friends. courtesy Prue Deckert nee Rapkins
1927 drawing; researched by Dr Brian Sinclair from DE&H when the lighthouses were listed.
The keeper's cottage was originally called Valhalla. This photo shows the picket fence which replaced the post & rails in 1922
1916 valuation; researched by Dr Brian Sinclair from DE&H when the lighthouses were listed.
1895-03 Brisbane Courier Tuesday detail 10 March 1896 courtesy Trove