Origin of street name
The ORSOVA was a 12,036 gross ton, 18 knot, two funnelled passenger liner built by John Brown, Clydebank in 1909 for the Orient Steam Navigation Co. There was passenger accommodation for 290-1st, 126-2nd and 660-3rd class. She started her maiden voyage from London via Suez to Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane on 25/6/1909. In May 1915 she became a troop transport but made two commercial voyages to Australia in 1916. On 14/3/1917 she was torpedoed near the Eddystone light, but beached at Cawsand Bay and subsequently towed to Devonport for repair. She resumed the London - Sydney - Brisbane service on 22/11/1919 and in 1933 was converted to a "one class" vessel. She made her last London - Australia sailing on 20/6/1936 and was broken up at Bo'ness in October 1936. (North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber)
SS Orsova 1953
was a British ocean liner, built by Vickers Armstrong Shipbuilders Ltd. of Barrow-in-Furness, England for the Orient Steam Navigation Company (Orient Line) for their Great Britain-to-Australia services via the Suez Canal. She was the final development of the 28,000 ton class which began with the SS Orcades of 1948 and continued with the SS Oronsay of 1951.
On 24 May 1956, Orsova ran aground off Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne, for twelve hours. In the 1960s, Orsova carried many thousands of emigrants from Greece and Italy to Australia. She was sold to shipbreakers in Taiwan in 1974 to be broken up
May 21018 SS Orsova postcard courtesy Eric from Antiques & Collectables