Chronological Images 1960s to 1980s
1961 radio base station plan researched by Dr Brian Sinclair
some time before 1968 when the new lighthouse was built - that's the old generator shed and you can see how the red sector was attached to the old balcony courtesy Lyndon O'Grady AMSA
1960c Clifford Travers' photo of the lighthouse. The car is his 1965 Ford Prefect called "Casper"
1964 Sailing Directions North West Channel courtesy Peter Marquis-Kyle
1967 Lighthouse and signal tower under construction on Canberra Terrace, Caloundra, October 1967 M863424 Sunshine Coast Libraries
1968 Department of Harbours & Marine - Port and Harbour Development in Queensland from 1824 to 1985 by Winifred Davenport, published by the Qld Govt
1968 Signal Station nearing completion courtesy Bob & Margaret Deakin, published in Queensland Electrical Contractor Oct 1968. Shows the 1922 picket fence in stark contrast to the modern building.
1968-70 from Roz via John Groves
1968-70 Lighthouses great detail by A Fulton Regional Lighthouse Engineer from Colin Gladstone 7-99
1968 to 1970 courtesy Lyndon O'Grady AMSA
1967 Site Plan & Auxiliaries Building Plan
1966 Proposed alterations to Caloundra Head 500mm optic for use at Tufi front leading light New Guinea researched by Dr Brian Sinclair
1967 General arrangement of lighting equipment researched by Dr Brian Sinclair
1970 Crane arrives to lift the old Lighthouse, photos of the 1970 move courtesy Lieutenant colonel Alf Easton,Commodore of the Power Boat Club at the time
From the 1996 Conservation Study - Note: The lantern & sheeting were probably fabricated in Brisbane.
1970 move by the Caloundra Power Boat Club, photos Lt Col Alf Easton
1970s tourist brochure for Caloundra, interestingly, the two lighthouses are shown even after the old lighthouse had been relocated
Early 70s courtesy Lee-Anne Bryant, Caloundra- The good old days- The 80's Facebook page
c1970s Signal Station print by Vic Honour from Nambour Museum shows Radio Base Station
1974 From Light House Caloundra., looking out to sea, shows Upper Gay Tce
From Light House Caloundra., looking towards Bribie Island shows Canberra Tce
Westaway Tower Caloundra
1974 Aug - Sept three photos from Bob Kirkwood, Rothwell, Queensland alias
on the back of some of the photos, "From Pilot Light house and Channel Control Station"
1970-2000 Caloundra from Queensland Places website
post 1974 from Queensland Places website taken from Westaway Towers
1976 Sunshine Coast Daily, 100 years of news, article on Keith Roll and the Caloundra Signal Station
from Lee-Anne Bryant Caloundra- The good old days- The 80's facebook site
recounts the role of the signals officer. I remember when the first New Zealand to Mooloolaba race happened and the yacht Soliloquy was presumed lost.
Another Mayday call came from a 40-foot yacht travelling fromSydney to Cairns.
Anro Asia Nothing could get near it so we got some Army Chinook helicopters in.
The ship was successfully re-floated
Retired in 1985
key words - shipping incidents, association with
1977 aerial photo extract courtesy DERM Note the linework for the carpark had appeared by this time
1979 “For more than 80 years, the Caloundra lighthouse has flashed the welcome signal to mariners that the approach to the Port of Brisbane and the end of their voyage was near.” The article discusses the growth of Caloundra from uninhabited, almost desolate when old lighthouse was built, to high rise structures restricting the light. “The once lonely lighthouse became an integral part of the community”. Department of Transport “reluctantly” decided to build a new lighthouse. Construction of Point Cartwright lighthouse began in May 1978. 32m high, $221,000 with Department designed optical gear with 23 nautical mile range. Taken over Caloundra’s role, but Caloundra passed to Queensland Department of Harbours and Marine with replacement light of lower power to assist vessels in the shipping channel. The article gives comprehensive specifications of Cartwright lighthouse, including plan and section of the control room. Structure is reinforced concrete pentagonal tower mounted by a white precast concrete lantern. Advertiser (31st Oct 1979)
The Point Cartwright Lighthouse from Lighthouses of Australia website
Light for Caloundra Lighthouse,
Designed and constructed at the Harbours & Marine Pinkenba Operations Base by the Navigation Aids Section
Photo & info from Department of Harbours & Marine
Port and Harbour Development in Queensland from 1824 to 1985 by Winifred Davenport,
published by the Qld Govt p603
1980s Rotary banner with new lighthouse
1981 the Anro Asia - newspaper report. shipwreck, from Westaway Towers, shows the Signal Station courtesy Des Stone