King's Beach bathing pavilion was constructed in 1937 by the Landsborough Shire Council. The pavilion was built as part of a larger scheme to improve the facilities at Caloundra, which was growing in popularity as a seaside resort. The pavilion was designed by CE Plant, and was constructed for a cost of £3030. The building comprised a small kiosk, entrance vestibule and open air change rooms exhibiting Spanish Mission architectural influence.
The construction of the Bruce Highway and a connecting road to Caloundra was a catalyst for Caloundra's growth in the late 1930s. This building is one of the few which survive from the period which demonstrate this pattern of growth. The King's Beach Bathing Pavilion demonstrates the development and expansion of Caloundra as a seaside resort in the 1930s. The building is also significant as an example of a 1930s public bathing pavilion with its open air change rooms and with the exterior exhibiting Spanish Mission architectural influences. The building continues to be used as public toilets and change rooms.
Significance Statement from the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014 Page SC6-102
King's Beach bathing pavilion state listing, local listing
Warner family on the steps leading to the beach outside the Kings Beach pavilion 1945
courtesy Glen Randell posted to Facebook page Coast locals - then and now August 5 2018