Caloundra City‎ > ‎Caloundra‎ > ‎Arthur St‎ > ‎

37 Arthur

Carl Dorothea and Nevill Edlundh at their home "Emoh Ruo" in Arthur St Caloundra courtesy Doreen Hall, inter war lost

Photo of Carl & Dorothea courtesy Nancy Andrews

Edlundhs home in Arthur St photo courtesy Doreen Hall

Land in Arthur St brought from the Remingtons courtesy Doreen Hall

The Edlundh's retired to Arthur St

1916
Carl Walter Edlundh replaced by Oliver Birrell as lightkeeper.  Caloundra City Libraries (undated)

The man in charge (of the Post Office) is also the lighthouse keeper.  He is assisted by his daughter Miss Florence.  Mr Edlundh was born in Stockholm, Sweden, and began seafaring in 1869.  As a sailor he visited a good many countries until he came to Queensland in 1881.  He started his colonial career in the coastal trade, and afterwards entered into the lighthouse service, working in the following places:- Assistant to the Government pilot in Moreton Bay; assistant Cape Cleveland lighthouse, keeper of Pine Islet light; keeper of Cape Moreton light; superintendent of Pile Lighthouse Moreton bay, and eventually keeper of Caloundra light where he has been since 6th September 1896.   On the 2nd November 1882 he married Miss D Meihrens, a native of Queensland, born of German parents.  They have (in 1912) 3 boys and 6 fine girls; two in Maryborough;one boy in Woodford, and one in Brisbane; the remainder of the family reside in Caloundra with their parents.  From the Nambour Chronicle..(3rd Aug 1912)

Party at Caloundra inc Birrells Irene Edlundh and Nellie Remington on right courtesy Doreen Hall

Card to Irene from the Maltmans showing School 1917 courtesy Doreen Hall

Back of postcard

School at Caloundra courtesy Doreen Hall

1896
A.B. Tripcony  brought the first lighthouse keeper, Mr Waldermar Edlundh and family, (about five at that time) to Caloundra via the Pumicestone Passage Tom McBride recollects “the girls had tangerine ribbons flying on their hats”.  Mr Edlundh was known to most of the people of Caloundra and Pumicestone Passage as “Fader” Edlundh.  The Post Office was a room of the cottage, Florrie (daughter) read Morse.  Messages delivered by buggy, often to Westaways of Meridian Plains .  Tutt 1977

Post Office opened in lightkeeper’s residence called “Valhalla”, Mr Edlundh appointed Post Master, stamps sold, and it was also receiving office.  Post Office was “hub of social activity in Caloundra” with successive lightkeepers or their wives appointed post Master/Mistress.  Wilson (1993)


Comments